The Salvation Army has recently issued a letter to residents of the Wellington Street Fire.
Below is the resource information that is included in the letter, intended to assist residents with their immediate needs.
A copy of the letter is available at Town Hall (56 Queen Street) and the Fire Administration Office (245 Ontario Street, Port Hope ON, L1A 2V9).
Moving Company Support
A partnership has been arranged with Northumberland County Moving Company on Hwy #28 so that when you have secured permanent housing, you can contact them at 905-373-4668 and speak with Tanya Stanley. They will work with you to coordinate your move, and the Salvation Army will cover the associated costs. They are aware that there may be multiple stops to gather the items that you need from our warehouse and from friends or family. The moving company will let us know when they need to get into our warehouse, and you will need to accompany them to choose the items that you want.
Assistance with First and Last Month’s Rent
If you are concerned about gathering first and last month’s rent, Northumberland County has a program in place to assist. If needed, phone their Community Outreach Program at (905) 372-6846 x2468, to complete the intake process. They have a worker who has been assigned to assist fire victims.
Furniture, Appliances and Household Supports
We have spent significant time on donation management, so that when you are able to find permanent housing, you can choose from a wide variety of furniture items. We also have lots of toys, dishes, cutlery, glass ware, small appliances, linen, and décor items.
These are available to you even now, by arranging with Lisa Graham, our Port Hope manager, to access the warehouse. She can be reached at email@example.com or via cell phone at 289-251-5758. Many have taken advantage of this already. Since our warehouse is currently at capacity, we have a number of donors who are holding items, which we have documented, so that we can connect you with those items should you need them.
Warehouse items will be given out on a first come first served basis, but we are not able to hold items.
Beds, Mattresses, Clothing, Food, Medical and Counselling Support
• For acquisition of beds for your new home, contact the Help Centre at 905-372-2646 or e-mail them at firstname.lastname@example.org. They are located at 1005 Elgin Street West, Suite 301, in Cobourg, in the Fleming building east of Staples and west of Missions Thrift Store. They will provide a letter for you to take to Sleep Country.
• For clothing, we have developed a partnership with all the thrift stores in Port Hope and Cobourg. If you identify yourselves as fire evacuees, they will give you what you need at no cost. All clothing donations that we receive are being funnelled to them.
• For food, visit your local food banks, including ours at 100 Peter St in Port Hope on Mondays and Fridays between 9am & 12 pm. Appointments can also be made through that office at other times.
• For toiletries, go to our Port Hope office, where numerous hair brushes, razors, and other items are available to you to choose from.
• For school supplies and backpacks, as well as winter coats, contact our Port Hope office, these will be provided for you as the time nears, through our partnerships with Coats for Kids and the United Way.
• For new toys, which we are able to access through The Salvation Army Railside Distribution Centre in Toronto, we ask that you e-mail or call the Port Hope office with your children’s wish lists. We will contact Railside and do our best to find some of the items on their lists. While electronics are harder to come by, you are welcome to tell us what games they are hoping to have. Please ensure other items such as specific board games, books, toys, and sports items are listed, to give us some options. If your children are in diapers, please provide us with their sizes.
• For medical needs, contact the Cobourg Salvation Army Community and Family Services at 905-373-9440, located at 66 Swayne Street, Cobourg.
• For support and counselling in the aftermath of this tragedy, please call Victims Services at 1-888-822-7729 or e-mail them at email@example.com