Water and Waste Water Service Line Protection Program
February 11, 2019
We are pleased to announce a new program to enhance the Municipality of Port Hope customer service culture. We have entered into a new agreement with Service Line Warranties of Canada (SLWC), a leading provider of home repair solutions, to provide optional repair service plans to our residents.
The service plans offered to Municipality of Port Hope homeowners through SLWC are affordable solutions to protect them from the cost and inconvenience of home repair emergencies, including sewer line blockages or breaks/water service line leaks on their property and in-home plumbing issues. As you may know, many of our customers become frustrated when they discover a blocked sewer line/broken water pipe and then learn that the cost of the repair is their responsibility. Homeowners are often unaware these types of repairs are not covered by basic homeowner’s insurance policies or by the Municipality.
In an effort to address this problem, the Municipality of Port Hope and SLWC have worked together to tailor a program to meet the needs of our customers. Residents are being offered the opportunity to purchase an optional service program that protects the homeowner from the cost and inconvenience of this type of repair. The marketing, customer service, and repairs using local, licensed and approved contractors will be managed entirely by SLWC.
What you need to know:
- In February, Municipality of Port Hope residents were mailed an introductory package to inform them about optional exterior water and sewer service line repair plans available through SLWC. Because we have a partnership with SLWC, the Municipality of Port Hope logo will appear on the mailings, which will clearly state that the program is optional and is administered by SLWC, not the Municipality of Port Hope. The program was brought forward to the Committee of the Whole meeting as a delegation on July 3, 2018 and, subsequently, the Municipality entered into a Marketing License Agreement with SLWC, which was passed by Council in early August. This agreement allows for the SLWC to use the Municipal logo for the purpose of this program, as the Municipality has agreed to endorse the company and service warranty.
- The Municipality did not sell or otherwise provide resident names or addresses as part of this program.
- The Exterior Sewer Line Coverage is available for $7.25 per month. SLWC will also offer Exterior Water Line Coverage for $5.00 per month and In-Home Plumbing Coverage for $6.50 per month.
- SLWC plan holders have access to a Repair Hotline that is accessible 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and repairs are performed by local, licensed and insured contractors.
- Municipality of Port Hope homeowners can learn more about these optional plans as well as SLWC by visiting the website www.slwofc.ca or calling toll-free 1-844-616-8444.
- First launched in 2014, SLWC, together with its parent company HomeServe USA, has partnered with over 475 leading cities, municipalities and utilities to provide repair service plans that offer peace of mind and convenience. SLWC maintains an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and is recognized as a trusted source of utility line service plans and is endorsed by the Local Authority Services (LAS). Service Line Warranties of Canada is a preferred service partner under the LAS program, developed by the Association of Municipalities of Ontario. This program seeks to offer competitively priced and sustainable cooperative business services for Ontario municipalities and the broader public sector. The low rates and enhanced coverage levels that SLWC outlines in their package is made possible through LAS’ influence and the buying power of the Ontario municipal sector.
- This program is an option for residents only and residents are not obligated to participate.