Planning & Development Services


Planning Services

Planning Services is a division of the Community Development Department.  Planning oversees development control and zoning as well as long-range community planning. To provide planning advice and guidance to Municipal Council, Municipal Staff, local property owners, residents of the Municipality of Port Hope and property developers on the use of land within the Municipality of Port Hope as affected by:

The Ontario Planning Act, Port Hope Official Plan and the Comprehensive Zoning By-Law including:

  • Zoning compliance letters
  • Verbal and/or written replies to inquiries from Municipal Council, Municipal Staff and the general public
  • Comments on Committee of Adjustment severance and minor variance applications
  • Development proposals in adjacent municipalities
  • Municipal restructuring proposals and municipal planning authorities
  • Testimony at Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (LPAT) hearings

Policies issued by senior levels of government and outside agencies, land use related issues not covered by the Ontario Planning Act (e.g. signs and municipal land sales), to oversee the administration of the land use development process in accordance with the Ontario Planning Act including the processing of Applications to:

  • Amend the Port Hope Official Plan - 
  • Amend the Comprehensive Zoning By-law
  • Approve a Plan of Subdivision
  • Approve a Site Plan

To establish and maintain current and relevant planning documents for the Municipality of Port Hope including:

  • The preparation of a new Comprehensive Zoning By-Law
  • The monitoring of the Walton Street Heritage Conservation Plan
  • The monitoring of the John, Ontario and Queen Street Heritage Conservation District Plan


To access the Port Hope Official Plan 2017 click here.
To access the Consolidated Zoning By-Law 20/2010 (key maps, schedules and text) click here.
Major Projects Map click here

Urban Zoning Map (Ward 1) click here

Rural Zoning Map (Ward 2) click here

Land Use planning means managing our land and resources.  It helps each community to set goals about how it will grow and develop and to work out ways of reaching those goals while keeping important social, economic and environmental concerns in mind.  It balances the interests of individual property owners with the wider interest and objectives of the whole community.

A series of of Citizen's Guides have been prepepared by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs Municipal Services Office to help you understand how the land use planning process works in Ontario. The Citizen's Guides are intended to give general information only and are not an interpretation of the Planning Act.  For more information, visit the Ministry of Municipal Affairs website.


1. The Planning Act

2. The Official Plan

3. Zoning By-laws

4. Subdivisions

5. Land Severance

6. Local Planning Appeal Tribunal

7. Northern Ontario

8. Building Permits

9. The Plan Review and Approval Process

10. Making Mediation Work for You

11.  Provincial Policy Statement 2014

12.  Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe

Planning review forms (prior to applying for a building permit)

1. Decks and porches
2. Accessory Structures
3. Main Structures

Planning Act Applications

1. Zoning By-law/Official Plan AmendmentRequired for existing or proposed development which does not comply with the policies or regulations contained in the current Zoning By-law and Official Plan and you must apply for an amendment by completing an application and submitting all required information and fees to Planning Services. The process to obtain a Zoning By-law or Official Plan amendment is a public process which is processed in accordance with Ontario Planning Legislation (Planning Act, R.S.O. 1990).  Fee is indicated on the application form.  Note fees have changed effective January 1, 2018

Zoning By-law/Official Plan Amendment Application Form

2. Plan of Subdivision ApplicationRequired for a plan of subdivision or condominium for which multiple lots or blocks are created from an existing property. An approved plan of subdivision or condominium is required under the Planning Act for the lots or blocks to be sold separately, and a registered plan will outline the details as to how those lots or blocks can be developed.  Fee is indicated on the application form.  Note fees have changed effective January 1, 2019.

Subdivision Application Form

3. Site Plan Application:Required under the Planning Act to control or regulate the various features on the site of an actual development including building location, landscaping, drainage, parking, and access by pedestrians and vehicles.  Fee is indicated on the application form.  Note fees have changed effective January 1, 2018.

Site Plan Application

4. Removal of 'H' Application: Required where a Zoning By-law Zone symbol is followed by a set of brackets, a letter "H" and a number contained within the brackets. For example, in zone symbol RES4(H1), the symbol refers to a Holding Provision that applies to the lands noted.  No person shall use or permit the land to which the Hold applies for any use other than the use which legally existed on the date the By-law applying the Holding Provision came into effect or the use(s) permitted in the By-law enacting the Hold, or expand or replace an existing building or structure as the case may be, until the Hold "(H)" is removed in accordance with the policies of the Official Plan and Section 36 of the Planning Act, R.S.O. 1990, c.P.13, as amended.   Fee is indicated on the application form.  Note fees have changed effective January 1, 2018.

Removal of "H" - Holding Provision Application Form


5. Heritage Permit Application: Required to undertake changes to properties or to signage on properties designated under the Ontario Heritage Act or within a Heritage Conservation District.  There are two heritage conservation districts:  "Walton Street Heritage Conservation District" and "John, Ontario and Queen Street Heritage Conservation District".  Internal changes to a building on a designated property do not normally require a Heritage Permit approval if external appearance is not affected. The heritage designation by-law for the property will outline the specific elements of the building that are to be preserved.

Heritage Application


6. Request for Building and Zoning Compliance

Zoning Compliance Letter

Planning Manager
Theodhora Merepeza, Ext. 2507,

Sonia Tam, Ext. 2502,

Emily Schaefer, Ext. 2506,

Administrative Assistant, Community Development
Mandy Kort, Ext. 2505,

Building Services

The Building Services oversees permit applications and issuance, conducts inspections in accordance with the Ontario Building Code and the Municipality of Port Hope Comprehensive Zoning By-law, as well as other applicable laws and regulations to ensure the standards for construction and plumbing are consistent throughout the Province. Building Services also oversees property standards and zoning by-law compliance.

For more information regarding building permit requirements and forms please follow the link below:

Office Location

Municipal Development Team Office
5 Mill Street South
Port Hope, ON

Phone: 905.885.2431
Fax: 905.885.0507
Toll Free: 1.855.238.0948

8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday

Mailing Address:
56 Queen Street
Port Hope, ON L1A 3Z9