MEDIA RELEASE: 2018 Holiday Events
November 20, 2018
2018 Holiday Events in the Municipality of Port Hope
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - Port Hope, ON
The holiday season has launched and there are festive activities and events happening throughout the Municipality. Below is a list of the highlights from the Municipal events calendar. Visit the calendar for the full list of events and activities.
Thursday, November 15 - Saturday, December 23
- Enjoy King Arthur: The Panto at the Capitol Theatre in Port Hope, 20 Queen Street. (Family version at 2 p.m., adult version at 8 p.m., on select days).
This production is loosely based on the British tradition of pantomime theatre, which usually takes place in the winter and re-tells well-loved children’s stories or fairy tales, but with a lot of added silliness. You’ll enjoy classic and modern music with visual effects to enhance the production along with audience interaction.
Tuesday, November 13 – Monday, December 17
- The Capitol Theatre presents a Festival of Lights and Trees. The Capitol will be all decked out in thousands of lights, with beautifully decorated trees available to be won by raffle. For full details, call 905-885-1071, 1-800-434-5092, or visit email@example.com, www.capitoltheatre.com
Friday, November 23
- Moonlight Madness: Head downtown and explore the business district for the annual Moonlight Madness event.
Roam the beautifully decorated streets of our heritage downtown to discover an array of unique shops and restaurants, open late into the evening for one night only.
Be sure to visit Lent Lane to shop the pop up Christmas market. Home Hardware has partnered with Critical Mass Art to transform Lent Lane into a warm and inviting holiday experience. Home Hardware will also be collecting food donations for Fare Share Food Bank in Lent Lane.
- Candlelight Walk: Gather at Walton & Pine Streets (155 Walton St.) for the illuminated procession to the Memorial Park Lighting Ceremony and unveiling of the 2018 Port Hope Christmas tile. Bring your singing voice and participate in the group carol sing along the route. With the donation of a non-perishable food item, participants will receive a battery-operated candle.
The Candlelight Walk experience will be enhanced this year, thanks to Critical Mass Art, who will be migrating along the route with numerous giant hand-crafted puppets and lanterns. This contemporary art experience promises to add whimsy and magic to this annual tradition.
- Christmas General Store: Open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily from November 23 - 25. Shop homemade baked goods and preserves, knitting, crafts, jewelry and the annual Christmas tile.
- Little Station Open House: Enjoy a free and immersive art experience hosted by Critical Mass and VIA Rail Canada at Little Station on November 23 and 24. Critical Mass is also offering a contest to Hop on Board the VIA mini train during the Candlelight procession. The winner will have the opportunity to board their family on the mini train, and will also receive $200 in HBIA gift certificates to spend in downtown Port Hope, and a $500 travel credit with VIA Rail Canada. *For more information about Critical Mass Art and the VIA mini train contest, please visit www.criticalmassart.com.
- Enjoy FREE horse and wagon rides throughout the Port Hope Downtown Heritage Business District. Wagon rides will be available November 23 from 7 p.m. – 10 p.m. Rides will begin and end at the Walton St. Bridge.
Wagon rides will also be available every Saturday in December, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Saturday, November 24
- The 81st annual Port Hope Santa Claus Parade. A spectacular cavalcade of festive sights and sounds, featuring a host of exceptional bands along with floats from many local businesses, clubs and community groups will make its way through the streets of Port Hope. Watch for the postal workers along the parade route collecting those all-important letters to Santa. Location: Ridout Street, Walton Street, Queen Street, from
1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- Following the Parade, the Canadian Fire Fighters Museum has invited Santa to take Christmas photos on one of their vintage Fire Trucks. The truck will be located at the old Canadian Tire Store, at the end of the parade route. Santa will be there immediately after the parade. All are welcome!
Saturday, December 1
- Join us at the Town Park Recreation Centre for Pancakes with Santa. Enjoy complimentary pancakes and meet the big guy, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Open to all ages.
Friday, December 7
- All members of the Ruth Clarke Activity Centre for Seniors are welcome to join us for our Annual Christmas Lunch on Friday, December 7. Lunch will be held at the Port Hope Lion's Centre beginning at 12 p.m. Tickets are on sale at the Ruth Clarke Centre for $25 per person. Purchase your ticket in advance.
- Wesleyville Yuletide Carolling: seasonal celebrations in song at the Wesleyville Church. This very popular event takes place at 2082 Lakeshore Road, Port Hope, from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Sunday, December 9
- Enjoy the holiday season with a Free Public Skate at the Jack Burger Sports Complex (JBSC), from 1 p.m. to 2:20 p.m. Open to all ages.
- Check out the events calendar for more free skating and swimming opportunities over the December holidays at the JBSC. A big thank you to our Free Public Skate and Swim sponsors. A sponsor list is available on our website at porthope.ca/arena
Wednesday, January 2 – Friday, January 4
- Holiday Camp offers fun themed activities including crafts, age appropriate activities, swimming, skating and more. Camp will be held at the Town Park Recreation Centre from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., extended hours are available. Open to ages 4-12.
For more details about these and other events in the community, visit porthope.ca/calendar
- 30 -
For more information, please contact:
Communications / Community Engagement Coordinator