Community Grants and Donations
The 2017 Community Grant program is now closed, and will reopen in September 2018 in preparation for the 2019 Budget. If you wish to see the 2018 Community Grant applicants please visit our Budget webpage under 2018 Community Grant Requests.
For several years, the Municipality of Port Hope has provided financial support to not-for-profit community organizations through an annual Community Grant. The Community Grant Policy has assisted in streamlining the budget process and ensuring that information is received from not-for-profit organizations who are seeking financial assistance.
Community Grant applications will be posted at the beginning of September every year with the deadline of by mid-October.
Eligible organizations can receive funding for one successful grant application per year with a request for a grant amount of $1,000.00 or more. Organizations who are requesting for funds less than $1,000.00 will not be accepted as a Community Grant request, however are encouraged to complete a Donation Request form which is posted below under the Donation section.
Organizations must meet the eligibility criteria and provide a completed and legible application in order to be considered for a Community Grant. Applications completed in full and legible shall mean those that indicate and meet all the requirements according to the Community Grant policy, and can be easily reviewed. As per approved July 5, 2016 Budget Committee minutes, Budget Committee directed staff to review all applications and any application that is incomplete or does not meet the criteria set out in the Community Grant policy is not to be considered for funding.
Posted below contains all of the information pertaining to the Municipality of Port Hope’s Community Grant 2017 program.
The Municipality of Port Hope may, at the discretion of Council, provide direct monetary grants to not-for-profit volunteer community individuals and organizations resident to the Municipality of Port Hope, who demonstrate their eligibility based on the following:
- Initiate or deliver programs and services to the citizens of Port Hope;
- Provide events of a municipal, provincial or national significance, which could be expected to bring economic, and/or public relations benefit to the municipality;
- Provide programs and services to address any urgent and pressing events and natural disasters (i.e.: fire, flood, earthquake);
- Initiate programs or services for individuals, groups or teams who require assistance to participate in recognized regional, provincial, national or international championships;
Not-for-profit volunteer community individuals and organizations shall mean applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Is registered in Ontario as a non-profit corporation by the applicable provincial or federal authority or ministry; or
- Is a minor sports association or organization; or
- Is a community service organization or group that returns 100 % of its net proceeds to the community for the community’s benefit
Grants may be provided to eligible applicants, as defined above, for:
- General operating and capital expenses including administrative costs and program-related expenses;
- Activities/functions generally occurring within the Municipal boundaries;
- Programs/activities/functions addressing a community need, responding to an under-serviced demand, or contributing to the positive image of the Municipality
- Organizations must request for a grant amount of $1,000.00 or more. Organizations who are requesting for funds lower than $1,000.00 will not be accepted as a Community Grant request and are encouraged to complete a Donation Request form which is available on the Municipal webpage.
- Organizations can only submit one community grant application per year
- If the programs or services proposed in the organization’s application are not commenced or not completed and there remain Municipality’s funds on hand, or are completed without requiring the full use of the Municipality funds, such Municipality funds will be returned to the Municipality.
- The granting of assistance in any year is not to be considered a commitment to providing grant funding assistance in future years.
- Funding is provided only for the sole purpose for which it was awarded within the current fiscal year
Each applicant (individuals, groups, organizations) must demonstrate:
- There is community support for the programs or services;
- That there is a need for financial assistance;
- That adequate funding for the programs or services is not available from other sources;
- That it is presently exploring, or has fully explored, the potential funding from other sources, from other levels of government, the private sector, memberships, donations and fundraising activities;
- Efforts to decrease reliance on municipal funding so other emerging needs or opportunities may be met.
- That if a grant was received in preceding year, the Municipalities financial support was acknowledged in all information pertaining to activities for which funds were granted per the policy.
Organizations submitting applications will be required to provide:
- Information about the organization and its programs or services;
- A statement of the organization’s goals and objectives, constitution and by-laws or, if a new organization, operating guidelines;
- Evidence to establish the organization’s eligibility in terms of the evaluation criteria outlined in this policy upon request;
- A description of how the organization intends to measure the success of the program or service if the funding request is approved;
- Financial statements indicating the revenue and expenses of the organization
- Audited financial statements for the previous year if available; and
- If organizations are requesting grant funding for their event/project they must provide the financial statements indicating the revenue and expenses of the organization’s event/project
All eligible organizations are to submit their completed applications to the Town Hall Municipal Office located at 56 Queen Street Port Hope Ontario L1A 3Z9 on or prior to the set due date. The office is open Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eligible organizations can submit their completed application by email to the email@example.com
. The time stamp in the Municipal Office is the official time for the deadline of submission. Applications received at 4:30 p.m. as shown on the time stamp in the Municipal Office are “on time”, whereas applications received after 4:30 p.m. as shown on the time stamp in the Municipal Office will be noted as late. Staff will review each application and ensure that it meets all the eligible requirements as per policy. Once staff have reviewed all applications they will compose a report summarizing the eligible submissions to the Budget Committee for consideration. Please note that staff will provide letters to applicants who do not meet the policy criteria indicating that their application will not be brought forward to Budget Committee for consideration. Successful applicants will be advised of the scheduled meeting date at which their application will be considered by Budget committee. Applicants may be requested by Budget Committee to appear as a delegation to speak on behalf of their Organization’s application (maximum of 10 minutes per organization).
** Please note that if the late submitted applications are completed in full they will only be considered at the discretion of Budget Committee. If late submitted applications are incomplete they will not be accepted or brought forward to Budget Committee.
Successful applicants will be notified of any allocation awarded following final Council approval of the annual budget by letter. A payment for the amount awarded will be forwarded approximately one month following final approval with larger grants receiving quarterly payments as determined by the Treasurer, unless other specific conditions are recommended and approved by Council.
Grant recipients will be required to acknowledge the support of the Municipality of Port Hope in all advertising, publicity, programs, and signage for which funds are granted. The recipient may not represent the Municipality as a partner or hold the Municipality responsible for any obligations relating to the grant initiative.
The Municipality of Port Hope advises organizations and individuals to provide their donation requests in advance so they can be considered. The Budget Committee will still consider mid-year requests, however any foreseeable requests are to be considered at the time of establishing the upcoming Budget. As per approved July 5, 2016 Budget Committee minutes, Budget Committee directed staff to provide a listing of annual requests for consideration during the annual budget process, allowing Committee to approve which annual requests they will provide assistance to. Any request received passed the specified deadline is to be denied, except for those requests that did not occur in the prior year. (i.e. Emergency Relief).
If any organizations or individuals wish to submit a Donation request for funds less than $1,000.00 to Budget Committee please complete the Donation Request form posted below and submit to either firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at the Finance Department located at Town Hall 56 Queen Street Port Hope Ontario L1A 3Z9. Organizations and individuals who are requesting funds in the amount of $1,000.00 or more are encouraged to review the Municipality of Port Hope’s Community Grant process that is posted above under the Community Grant section. Please note that the 2017 Community Grant program is closed as of Friday, October 13, 2017 at 4:30 p.m., and will reopen in September 2018 in preparation for the 2019 Budget.
For any questions or inquiries please contact the Finance Assistant at email@example.com or 905.885.4544. ext 2254.