Accessibility Advisory Committee
Chair: Selena Forsyth
Staff Rep: Emily Morris, Older Adult Activity Coordinator, email@example.com
Council Rep: Councillor Terry Hickey - 905.376.8300
Recording Secretary: Rebecca Dahle
The Accessibility Advisory Committee meets the second Wednesday of each month at 5:30pm, Town Hall
Terms of Reference
As an Advisory Committee, the goal is to advise Council on matters that will enhance the ability of people with disabilities to have equal access to opportunities within the municipality. This authority is in accordance with the Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2001.
To enable persons with disabilities to have equal access to all opportunities within the municipality.
- In accordance with the Ontarians with Disabilities Act, and as amended from time to time:
- The Committee shall:
- Advise Council in each year about the preparation, implementation and effectiveness of its accessibility plan;
- Advise Council on the accessibility for persons with disabilities to a building, structure or premises, or part of a building, structure or premises,
- that the Council purchases, constructs or significantly renovates;
- for which the Council enters into a new lease; or
- that a person provides as municipal capital facilities under an agreement entered into with the Council in accordance with Section 110 of the Municipal Act, 2001.
- Advise Council on the purchase of goods and services through the procurement process for the use of the municipality, its employees or the public, having regard to the accessibility for persons with disabilities to the goods or services.
- The Committee shall:
- Perform the functions set out in Section 12 of the Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c.32, and as amended from time to time, including reviewing in a timely manner the site plans and drawings described in section 41 of the Planning Act that them Committee selects; and
- Comply with any applicable regulations that may be established from time to time.
- In consultation with Council and Municipal Staff the Committee shall:
- review new and existing municipal by-laws and policies
- recommend the awarding of funds from the Municipality of Port Hope Access Fund for Municipal property
- encourage improved services which will allow disabled persons to live a full and productive life
- promote public awareness and understanding of the needs of disabled persons
- The Committee shall provide advice to Council on other issues of importance to persons with disabilities.